About Oltenita

Location and access
               
Oltenita city is located in the Danube Meadow, near the 430 km, near the mouth of the river Arges. It has about 31,896 inhabitants and, from administrative point of view, it belongs to Calarasi County.

GPS Coordinates - 44 ° 5'12 "N - 26 ° 38'12" E

Road
- From Bucharest, on NR 4 - 62 km
- From Giurgiu, on NR 41 - 75 km
- From Calarasi, NR 31 - 69 km

Railway

- From Bucharest - 59 km.

River

- On the Danube

City History

Documentary evidence of Oltenita village is located in a document left by Prince Neagoe Basarab and dated April 13, 1515, following that in June 1526 to be mentioned in a charter of Radu from Afumati. In 1852 a delegation from Ulmeni, Chiselet, Chirnogi, Radovanusi Cascioarele, addresses to Prince Alexandru Ghica asking him to approve the establishment of a city free from taxes, selling them a part of his estate, which was actually made a year later. Thus, on April 23, 1853 (when it had about 750 inhabitants) Oltenita is officially recognized as "free city".

The history of these places is much older, as evidenced by the discovery of the largest Neolithic settlement, with several levels of housing, on Gumelnita mound (about 3 km east of downtown), which dates back from 4th millennium BC.

The archaeological material found here belongs to Gumelniţa culture (named after the toponymy of the place) and it is extremely valuable both by his age, and the variety and richness of preserved objects. The material is exposed in the Museum of Archaeology and History, an architectural monument building, built in 1925 by architect Ion Cernescu, a major tourist attraction of the city.

They attest Boian culture and they were found at "Coada Lupului", at 3.5 km North of town. At 4 km Northeast of the town’s hearth we can find the archaeological resort which gave the name of Gumelnita Neolithic culture.

Archaeological discoveries and records of ancient writers attest the possibility of the existence of a pre-state formation of the Dacian at the mouth of Arges river and then Daphnes Constantine Roman-Byzantine fortress, in these places in the 4th century BC. First geographic attestation of the area, without bearing the name of Oltenita, dates from the time of the Roman Emperor Valens (AD 367), who trying to fight Atanarieh, the Goths king, crossed the Danube through Daphnes fortress (Oltenita), where the river had no more than of 750m.

Over time, Oltenita witnessed numerous wars waged on these places in the Middle Ages and modern times (incursions from -1594 to 1595 of Mihai Viteazu - targeting Turkish fortresses on the right of Danube, clashes and fighting between Austria and Turkey etc.).

During the war of independence, Oltenita was established as a main defence point of the capital, as evidenced even by inspection of the front area by King Carol I of Romania. Battles waged in the city during the two world wars made Oltenita a town known for great military commanders and politicians of the time. In fact, it appears on the first map of the Romanian Country, printed by Constantin Cantacuzino at Vienna, in 1700.

Due to its geographical position and benefitting of a fertile soil, rich vegetation, diverse wildlife, temperate climate etc. and being a good way of crossing the Danube, bridge head and place of storage of grain, customs, quarantine and border point, Oltenita gained an important economic and social role, which led to the founding of Oltenita city on April 23, 1853, approved by the ruler of the time, Radu Stirbei.

Basic function of the town was that of port on the Danube, to which the industrial function added in time (construction and repair of motor boats, river passenger vessels, tugs, barges, furniture factory and prefabricated elements for construction, food and light industry).

The fact that it is located on the southern border of the country and being an important point in the road between East and West led the Romanian Government to adopt a Decision on the establishment of border crossing checkpoint Oltenita - Tutrakan (Bulgaria), point that shortens about 150 km of the road routes.

Socio-economic development of the town led local authorities to propose to the Romanian Parliament to raise the town to municipality degree, which was made on October 22, 1997 when, by Law nr.165 / 1997, the Romanian Parliament declared Oltenita as municipality.

Oltenita today

Oltenita of our days is a neat town, with attractive sights, of which the most representative, either by their historical and cultural value, or by architectural features or the unique beauty of the countryside, constitutes a wide range of touristic objectives: two museums (Museum of Gumelnita Civilization and Museum of Art Oltenita), Heroes Monument, Church of the wall dedicated to "Saint Nicholas" (1855), the wooden church (new building in the city park), Central Park and many more. The three main archaeological sites (Renie, Magura Gumelnita and Ratarie), Albina Island, Tourist Port, Valea Mare Pond or the Dunarica area are just some of the Oltenita city adjacent areas, worthy of being included in any visit to the area.

 

Parcul Primariei Oltenita
Tribunalul Oltenita
Gara Oltenita

* Oltenita Tourist Port

The area is situated on the Danube, near the bollard "km 430", at about 1.5 km from the city, where two floating pontoons for mooring for passenger vessels (including cruise ships) are placed. It covers a distance of about 500 m, between the building which currently Border Police has its headquarters up to concrete platforms for mooring small boats. The width of the area is of about 60 m, between the Danube bank and the road that connects the shipyard - the trade port and port area that was to be built on Bucharest Danube channel bank.

 Biserica Sf. Nicolae  Muzeul De Arheologie Oltenita  Turnul De Apa Oltenita

 

Arges Park

It is a continuation of the central park area of the city, on Arges River bank (upstream of the bridge that crosses the river). It includes both a free zone, arranged for sport and leisure, and a lake suitable for recreation and fishing.

•    Heroes Monument

Monumentul Eroilor - Oltenita
The monument of the Heros in the National wholeness war of Oltenita, inaugurated on June 29, 1930, is located downtown on Republicii avenue, and it is the opera of the sculptor Ion Iordanescu. The pedestal, having the shape of an elongated truncated pyramid, made of rectangular blocks of limestone, is surmounted by a statuary ronde-bosse, cast in bronze, 2.50 m high and representing two characters: a soldier in campaign outfit, who is holding a gun in his right hand in balance, with the left pointing forward, and a woman representing Victoria, having in her left hand a trumpet sounding beginning of the attack, and in her right hand a laurel wreath. Bronze plaques are mounted on the he facades of the pedestal where the following text is engraved: "To heroes of Oltenita, deep gratitude." The names of 166 soldiers, children of the locality, who died on duty in the battles of World War One are inscribed on the monument.  

   








web counter
web counter